Amidst the spread of the new variant Omicron of the corona virus, 35 countries of the world are giving booster doses of the vaccine. The world’s leading vaccine companies are claiming to be 70 to 80 percent effective against Omicron. In India, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that from January 10, about three crore front line workers including health workers of the country will be given publication dose. In such a situation, the question arises that which countries in the world have started the booster dose? What is the position of China and America in this matter? With this, you will also know how effective the booster dose is and what is the opinion of the vaccine companies of the world’s major countries in this matter?
Chile at the forefront of booster dose
According to Our World in Data, Chile is at the forefront of booster shots. In Chile, more than 53 percent of the people have been given booster doses. Britain is in second place in this matter. This dose has been given to more than 47 percent of the people in Britain. In terms of booster dose, Germany is at number three and France is at number four. This dose has been given to about 35 percent in Germany and 29 percent in France. In Italy, more than 27 percent of the people have been given a booster dose. He is in sixth place. In America, more than 19 percent people have got this dose. This dose has been given to eight percent people in China and four percent in Russia. Booster dose has been given to only 6 percent of the people in the world.
In which major countries booster dose is being given
According to Our World in Data, more than 35 countries around the world are giving booster doses to their citizens. Keeping in mind different factors in different countries, people are being given booster doses of corona vaccine. It started with Israel in August. This includes America, Canada, Austria, Britain, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Israel, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland, Japan, Turkey, Chile, China, South Korea are included. India will also join this list on January 10.
How effective is the booster dose on Omicron?
- As far as the effect of this booster dose is concerned, there is a different opinion in each country. Regarding the vaccine’s effect on the Omicron variant in the US, Pfizer and Moderna had said that the booster dose of their vaccine is also effective against Omicron. After 5-6 months of administration of both doses of the vaccine, the antibody level starts decreasing.
- Regarding the effectiveness of the vaccine in England, Pfizer says that the vaccine is 90 percent effective in preventing infection for two weeks after the second dose, but only 70 percent after five months. The effectiveness of modern vaccine also decreased over time. According to Britain’s Health Security Agency, a booster dose of Corona provides 70 to 75 percent protection against symptomatic infection of the Omicron variant. However, this study is still in its initial stage. Therefore, if more data is received in the coming days, its results may change.
- The introduction of booster doses in Israel started with Israel. Here since August, booster doses are being given to the citizens. In October, Israel’s largest health maintenance organization Klait Health Service conducted the study. In this, 7.28 lakh people who took booster doses were studied. In this, the booster dose is 92 percent effective in preventing serious infections compared to two doses.
- Chinese biotech company Sinovac has published a study regarding booster doses. It was revealed that the third vaccine dose against Omicron is 94 percent effective. The company studied a total of 68 people, out of which 20 had taken only two doses, while 48 had taken three doses. Antibodies against Omicron developed in seven people in the first group and 45 in the second group.
- Regarding the vaccine’s effect on the Omicron variant in the US, Pfizer and Moderna had said that the booster dose of their vaccine is also effective against Omicron. After 5-6 months of administration of both doses of the vaccine, the antibody level starts decreasing.
Why is a booster dose needed?
The effect of the second dose of the corona virus vaccine ends or starts decreasing in six months. Omicron is three times more contagious than Delta. The booster dose given to those most likely to be infected with corona is called the publication dose. There may be a gap of 9 months to 12 months between the second dose and the medicinal dose.