A few days ago, while buying saplings from the planter brother in the street, a neighbor told that the hibiscus tree is not able to live in his house. He has tried many times to plant a hibiscus plant in his house, but the plant dries up after a few days of planting. On asking the reason, he said that nothing much, but every time something white-white starts appearing on the stem and leaves of the plant, after which the plant dies. So now she does not want to plant a hibiscus plant in her house.
His words stuck in my mind and while talking to a gardening expert, Brahmadev Kumar, I asked him what are the common diseases of plants? He immediately pointed out that it is very common to find ‘mealy bugs’ in plants and they are white in colour. If you do home gardening and check your plants regularly, then many times you see white powder sticking behind the stems or leaves of many plants.
In addition to mealy bugs, pests such as aphids, whiteflies, spider mites, and scales are very common.
These insects suck the sap from the plants and gradually make the plant sick. After this, if you do not give insect resistance to the plant in time, then your plant dies. That is why it is important that we always keep checking our plants. However, a big sign of plant pests is ants or large black bugs appearing on your pots and plants. Because often ants or insects come on the same plant on which these insects are attached. Therefore, if you see ants or insects in any of your pots, you should immediately check the plant thoroughly.
Now it is known that which pests are commonly found in plants. But what is the reason for their occurrence and the way to remove them? He said that there could be many reasons for the pest. Like many times the soil is not right, even then the plant gets diseases. Many times we do not have any idea how much water the plant needs, so we keep giving more water to the plant than it needs. Due to which there is a lot of moisture and we know how quickly the fungus takes its place in moist places.
However, along with the cause, it is necessary to have a solution. Brahmdev says that many people bring chemical insecticides from the market and sprinkle them on the plants as soon as they see the insects. Pests go away due to this, but this chemical harms our plants and if given to the plants of fruits and vegetables, then it is harmful for us too. That’s why it is most important not to rush, think with a cool mind and look for organic alternatives. One option is to buy organic insect repellent from the market. You can also watch it online.
Another option is to make your own insect repellent using household items. It’s true that for best results, you’ll need to spray your plants several times with organic insect repellents, as opposed to chemical insecticides. But it is beneficial for the plants in the long run. Also, for our health.
Make organic insect repellent at home like this
Brahmadev says that in general, neem oil is good for plants as a biological insect repellent. You mix a few drops of neem oil in water and keep spraying it well on the plants. This will protect your plants from pests and keep them healthy. Always keep in mind that neem oil is pure. Nowadays there is a lot of adulteration in the market, because neem oil is a bit expensive. That’s why many times people hesitate to buy it. But even if you cannot take neem oil, you can still make a good insect repellent at home.
what are the requirements
- Neem leaves (Neem is anti bacterial, anti viral and anti fungal)
- liquid handwash
- refined vegetable oil
Make like this:
- First of all boil neem leaves by filling water in a vessel. Boil neem leaves till the water is reduced to half.
- Now let this neem water cool down and after it cools down, filter it and fill it in a bottle. You can make neem water in large quantities. Because you can store it in a shaded place for two-three months.
- Make a paste of garlic and mix it in a glass of water.
- Sieve this mixture. Now add some amount of neem water to the garlic water that you have got.
- After this, fill half a bottle of water in the sprayer bottle.
- Add a teaspoon of refined oil to this water and mix it well.
- Now add a spoonful of liquid hand wash to this water-oil mixture.
- Once again mix everything well.
- Now pour garlic and neem water from above in this sprayer bottle.
- After thorough mixing, your organic insect repellent is ready.
You can spray it on your plants twice a week.
Insect repellent should always be sprayed in the evening or at night only and on the second day, in the morning, spray the plants with normal water. Because sometimes spraying insect repellent in the sun can be harmful to the plants. You can watch this video.
Apart from this, if the pests have not been very effective on your plants, then you can just use ‘soap water’. For this, you mix a teaspoon of liquid dishwash or shampoo in a liter of water. Spray this mixture on the plants. Apart from this, if you have a jet sprayer for watering, then you can also remove the pests by jet spraying all the plants with water. But this method is effective only when the pest infestation has just started. Many people also regularly use 3G mix.
3G Mix (GGG)
It means Garlic, Ginger and Green Chili, which means Garlic, Ginger and Green Chili. Make a paste of these three things and mix this paste in water and make a mixture. Keep this mixture covered for a few hours and then filter it and fill it in a sprayer bottle. Many people spray this mixture on their plants once in a week or 10 days without any pest infestation so that the pests stay away from the plants.
- If the effect of pests on plants is not very much, then you can remove these pests yourself from the stem and leaves of the plant with a damp cloth.
- Sometimes the pests have an effect not only on the plant but also on the pot. Therefore, check the pot thoroughly so that after you remove the pests do not reoccur on the plants.
- Pruning of plants is also a good way. Every part of the plant on which the pest is infested, you should cut it from there. This will prevent the pest from spreading to the rest of the area.
- If you find that pests are a frequent problem, then you should repot your plants. Plant the plants in new soil and new pots. Before replanting the plants, wash their roots thoroughly so that the pests attached to the roots are removed. After that plant it in another good soil.
- If more infection has spread in a plant, then first separate it from other plants. And even after using insect repellent, if the infection is not going away, then you have to discard it so that this infection does not spread in your garden.
So what’s the delay, check all your plants today to see if any insect is bothering them.
Editing – G N Jha
Also read: Growing Hibiscus: This beautiful flowering plant can be easily planted in your home