Swati Dwivedi, a gardening expert based in Bangalore, says, “If someone is starting out in gardening, they are also advised to plant indoor plants first. These types of plants are very easy to plant and care for. In Indoor Plants also, you should choose such plants, which purify the air and give you maximum oxygen. The name of Snake Plant comes first in this list. Snake Plant is a common houseplant also known as Sansevieria trifasciata. Swati says that this plant is as easy to plant and as easy to take care of it. Snake Plant can be propagated in two ways. So, let’s know how to plant snake plant from cuttings (How To Propagate Snake Plant).
How To Propagate Snake Plant
This air purifier plant grows from a single cutting. You can plant it in soil or water. First you take a leaf, clean it and cut it straight from the bottom. Now you can take one or two more cuttings from this big leaf. Just keep in mind which part is the bottom.
- To propagate the cutting in water (snake plant propagation in water) you have to take a transparent jar.
- Now put the cutting of Snake Plant in it.
- Now pour enough water in the jar, so that the cutting remains in the water only for two-three inches from the bottom.
- Change the water throughout the week or in ten days.
- It may take three to four weeks for the cuttings to develop.
- But when roots start to form, you can plant it in a large jar or you can also plant it in a pot filled with soil.
If you want, you can also propagate the cutting directly into the soil (snake plant propagation in soil). For this, you have to take a small pot, which has good drainage.
- Now you can fill it by mixing normal soil and compost.
- Plant the cuttings in soil and water from above.
- Keep the pot in such a place where there is good light but direct sunlight should not fall on the pot.
- Keep watering regularly.
- In two to three weeks you will see the cuttings begin to develop.
- Now if you want, you can plant these plants in big pots.
You don’t need to worry too much to take care of it. After watering wait for the soil to dry and water only after the soil is dry. In winter, they need water only once a month. Insects and mites also do not appear in this plant. Most importantly, snake plants convert carbon dioxide into oxygen faster at night than other plants.
So what’s the delay, today take cuttings and plant this beautiful plant.
Editing – G N Jha
Also read: 30 types of vegetables including red ladyfinger, dragon fruit, watermelon, strawberry grown on the terrace