According to a report by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, two-wheeler riders accounted for more than a third (37 per cent) of those killed in road accidents in 2019.
In an effort to make the road safer for two-wheeler riders, the central government has notified draft rules for safety provisions for carrying a child on a motorcycle, including connecting the child to the driver. The use of a safety harness is recommended.
Under the draft proposal rule, it will be mandatory for motorcyclists to secure the child seated in the back by means of a safety harness. Actually, a safety harness is a jacket worn by a child. This harness can be adjusted with straps attached to it and is attached to the shoulder loop worn by the harness driver. In this way, the child’s upper torso is securely attached to the driver.
Things to know about the draft proposal:
- The draft rules, announced and proposed by the ministry, will be applicable for children in the age group of zero to four years sitting in the rear seat.
- If the child in the rear seat is less than four years of age, a safety harness must be used.
- In the draft rules, the specification of the safety harness also mentions:
- These harnesses will be light weight, adjustable, water proof and durable.
- These will be of heavy nylon/multifilament nylon material with high density foam.
- These will be designed to handle weights up to 30 kg.
In addition, it will be the responsibility of the motorcyclist to ensure that the rear passenger is wearing a crash helmet and, if not, fits over their head. If a 4-year-old child is sitting on a motorcycle, the speed should not exceed 40 kmph.
If you have any objection or suggestion regarding this rule, you can write to: Joint Secretary (MVL, Transport & Toll), Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Transport Bhawan, Parliament Street, New Delhi-110001 or you can comment-morth @gov.in. You can also mail.
The objections or suggestions in respect of these rules sent before 20 November 2021 will be considered by the Central Government.
Click here to read official notification.
Original article: Vidya Raja
Edit – Human Cut
Also read: Five women of Northeast India, who have a significant contribution in history
If you’ve been inspired by this story, or want to share any of your experiences with us, write to us at email@example.com, or Facebook & Twitter Twitter Contact on