Who doesn’t love juicy and sweet melons? Apart from being delicious, it is also very good for health. Because it contains a lot of water. In addition, it also contains vitamins and minerals, which help to keep the body cool. So if you include it in your diet, what can be better than this. But did you know that if you have a little open space that gets good sunlight, you can grow melons yourself?
Yes, melons can be grown on the terrace, balcony or open courtyard of the house. Just where you are doing gardening, there is good sunlight. Madhavi Guttikonda, a resident of Visakhapatnam, is a housewife, Terrace Gardner and YouTuber. Madhavi, who has been gardening for the last 10 years, grows almost all the vegetables for the kitchen in her garden. Apart from this, she is also growing a variety of fruits on her terrace, including cantaloupe.
He told that we can plant melon plants in the house with the seeds of the melon we bring from the market. Anyway, many people dry and store the melon seeds. Because its seeds are also good for health. So the next time you bring a cantaloupe, use some of its seeds to grow melons. Madhavi says that if taken care of properly, it is very easy to plant.
how to find?
First of all, collect the melon seeds you brought from the market. When the seeds come out of the melon, they have a lot of juice. So you put them in a sieve and sieve them. After this, keep the seeds in your kitchen near the window. In a few days these seeds will be completely dry and then you can sow them. If you do not have seeds at home, you can also buy melon seeds from the market. Before planting, you may wish to treat the seeds with a fungicide to prevent fungus.
- Now take any medium sized pot or container, which has a hole in the bottom.
- Prepare a potting mix by mixing cow dung or vermi compost, sand, dry leaves, neemkhali and cocopeat in the soil.
- Fill the potting mix in the pot and plant some melon seeds at an equal distance.
- Give water by spray.
- In about a week, the seeds germinate and start growing.
In 15-20 days your plants will be so big that you can transplant them to another bigger pot. To transplant the plants, you can take 12 to 16 inch pots or you can use any old big bucket kept at home. Note that this container should have a good drainage system.
Keep these things in mind:
- Fill potting mix in these big pots and plant only two plants at the same distance in a pot. Because the roots of the vine need space to grow.
- Water the plants regularly after transplanting.
- Within about a month, the vines start growing quite big. In such a situation, you should make arrangements to support them by tying a rope or wire.
- After a month you can spray the plants with organic insect repellent.
- You can spray this two-three times in a month and along with water, you can also give nutritious fertilizers to the plants.
- After about 40 days, male and female flowers appear on the vine.
- You have to pay attention that the pollination of flowers is good.
Madhavi says that you can spray neem oil for biological insect repellent. At the same time, for liquid manure, you can make a solution of neemkhali or mustard cake and give it to the plants. In about two-and-a-half months, the melons on the vine are ready for harvesting.
Therefore, the next time whenever you come to melon at home, instead of throwing away its seeds, store them. So that you can plant melons in your garden.
Editing – G N Jha
Also read: Build Your Budget Garden In A Small Space In This Way