You all must have heard the name of lemongrass. It is a slender-tall herbaceous plant, whose scientific name is Cymbopogon. The aromatic oil is extracted from the leaves and stem of lemongrass. The fragrance of this oil is like lemon.
Herbal tea is made from the powder obtained from its dried leaves. It is also added to dishes like soups, sauces, etc. Drinking lemongrass tea is beneficial for health. According to research, it has anti-amoebic and anti-bacterial properties. In addition, its consumption is also good for your digestion.
At the same time, lemongrass oil is used in making incense sticks, soaps, perfumes, cosmetic products, aroma oil. That is, this grass that looks normal is a thing of great use. Lemongrass oil and tea are available in the market at a very expensive price, but you can easily grow this healthy plant at home too.
Vijaya Tiwari, who has been doing terrace gardening in Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh for the last several years, is telling us today some easy ways to plant lemongrass. He says that planting it does not require much maintenance, fertilizers or pesticides.
How to Grow Lemongrass (How to grow lemongrass)
It is a medicinal grass, which can grow to a height of two to five feet. You can grow it comfortably in any pot. On the other hand, if we talk about soil, then friable soil is right for this.
- “It can be planted through seed, stalk (stem) and nursery plant,” says Vijaya.
- Lemongrass is easily available these days in vegetable stores or supermarkets. After using the leaves of lemongrass brought from the market, you can grow it from some of its stalks.
- First of all, keep these stalks in water for about a week. Keep it out of the sun and change its water regularly.
- After a week it will start growing roots and some leaves.
- Now you can grow it by putting it in a pot or grow bag.
- For potting soil, add 50% garden soil (any normal soil) and 50% sand and cow dung mixture.
- It needs four to five hours of sunlight a day for it to grow well. At the same time, in May and June, it has to be protected from the scorching sun.
- You have to maintain the moisture of this plant all the time. So never let the soil dry out completely. At the same time, this plant gets spoiled and dies due to excessive watering. So avoid adding too much water.
- It does not require any special fertilizer etc. to grow. But you can add cow dung or homemade compost to it twice a year.
- Once lemongrass is planted, you will see that their numbers automatically increase and gradually many stalks start coming out.
planting lemongrass from seed (How To Grow Lemongrass From Seed)
Lemongrass seeds are easily available in nurseries or online markets. You plant this seed in a pot and sprinkle water and keep it in a shady place. You have to keep in mind that to maintain the moisture in the pot, sprinkle light water every day. In about 7-10 days, the seeds will start sprouting. When the seedling starts to form a plant, then keep the pot in a sunny place so that the plant can grow rapidly.
care tips (Tips To Grow Lemongrass)
Vijaya says that if you plant lemongrass in February, then leaves will keep coming out of it throughout the year, in summer it gives good leaves. While its leaves turn a little brown in winter, some people think the plant is dead but it doesn’t get bad. You cut these brown leaves and keep adding water regularly, in summer again green leaves will start coming in it.
Since it is a fragrant plant which works to keep away mosquitoes etc. That’s why it usually doesn’t have insects. Lemongrass plants grow well in open sunlight. The lemongrass plant planted in the shade does not develop properly.
From time to time, cut its leaves from above and keep using it. You can also keep its leaves dry. It can be made like normal tea with milk and sugar. At the same time, you can also make healthy green tea by boiling fresh leaves of lemongrass with hot water.
So what is the delay, you must also plant this very useful plant in your home. You can also watch Vijaya Tiwari’s YouTube channel for more information.
Editing – G N Jha
Also read: Botany professor did degree worthwhile, 120 students have started doing horticulture