Many people these days are including broccoli in their diet as it is considered extremely beneficial for health. Due to the increasing demand of broccoli in the market, many farmers are also cultivating it. Belonging to the cabbage family, broccoli is a good source of fiber, minerals and antioxidants. Therefore, you can include it in your diet in many ways. You can use it in soups, salads and as a vegetable.
The best part is that you can grow broccoli at home, that too with organic methods. Ankit Bajpai, who lives in Lucknow, has been doing gardening on his terrace for the past several years. He grows all seasonal vegetables for his family. He told that when the temperature of your area starts decreasing that means between 15 to 30 degrees, then you can plant broccoli in your garden. It is mostly grown and consumed during the winter season.
The Better India While talking to Ankit told that how you can easily grow broccoli at home.
what are the requirements
Ankit says that first of all you should buy broccoli seeds from a right and trustworthy place. You can also buy broccoli seeds online but they should be of good quality. In addition to the seeds, you will need a small six-inch pot to prepare the seedlings. In addition to one small pot, you’ll need to get all the other large pots (10 to 12 inches). You can plant only one broccoli plant in a pot. So take as many pots as you want to plant. To prepare the potting mix you will need cocopeat, sand, compost, vermicompost and soil.
Prepare plants in this way
- First mix 25% sand and 25% vermicompost in 50% cocopete.
- Fill this potting mix in a small pot.
- The drainage system should be good in this pot so that water does not stagnate in the pot.
- After filling the pot with potting mix, add water so that it gets wet.
- Now plant some broccoli seeds at an equal distance in this pot and put a layer of potting mix on top.
- Now give water from above with a sprayer.
In about a week the seeds will germinate and the plants will start growing. Take care of the plants regularly and add water according to the need. In 20 to 25 days, your plants should be big enough that you can transplant them.
- Take as many large pots as there are plants. All pots should have a good drainage system.
- In this, you fill the potting mix by mixing 40% soil, 40% compost and 20% sand.
- Now plant all the broccoli plants one by one in big pots.
- Keep in mind that the roots of any plant should not be damaged while transplanting.
- Water the pots after planting the plants.
After transplanting the plants, keep the pots in a semi-shade area (where there is less sunlight) for about five-six days. After six days, you should place all the pots in a place where there is good sunlight for six to eight hours a day because broccoli needs good sunlight to grow.
take care this way
- Always give water according to the need. Too much watering can damage the plants.
- You can start fertilizing the plants about a month after planting them.
- Always give a balanced fertilizer containing equal amounts of Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium (NPK Fertilizer).
- You can give bon meal, mustard cake or neem cake to broccoli plants.
- Neem oil can be sprayed on the plants to protect them from pests.
Your broccoli is ready for harvesting in about three and a half months.
So what is the delay, get broccoli seeds today and plant them on the roof or balcony of your house, wherever the sun is good.
You can also watch this video to know in detail about growing broccoli.
Editing – G N Jha
Also read: 72-year-old Rajinder makes about 100 kg of manure at home
If you’ve been inspired by this story, or want to share any of your experiences with us, write to us at email@example.com, or Facebook & Twitter Twitter Contact on