Rafah, (His). The fear of an attack on southern Gaza has intensified after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu instructed the army to evacuate the population from Rafah. So far, 27,947 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks. According to Israel, Rafah is Hamas's last stronghold and it needs to send troops to carry out its war plan against the Islamic terrorist group. It is estimated that after the attacks on Gaza and other places, more than 1.5 million Palestinians fled to Rafah.
Netanyahu said a large-scale operation was needed in Rafah. He asked security officials to present a dual plan that would include the evacuation of civilians and a military operation to dismantle the remaining Hamas terror cells. Earlier on Friday, Israel had bombed several targets in Rafah. The attack came hours after Biden administration officials and aid agencies warned Israel against expanding its offensive into Gaza. The airstrikes targeted two residential buildings in Rafah, while two other sites in central Gaza were bombed. 22 people were killed in this.
After this order of Netanyahu, Egypt has also been worried. It has said that any ground action in Rafah or large-scale cross-border displacement would undermine its 40-year-old peace treaty with Israel.
At the same time, the Israeli Army has said that a suspicious air target has been stopped near the port city of Haifa. The ports of Haifa and Ashdod are important gateways for Israeli trade. A military spokesman said there was no damage. Meanwhile, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Galant met his Czech counterpart.
: Language Inputs
This post is sourced from newspapers, magazines and third-party websites. For more information please check NewsDay Express Disclaimer.