If you are planning to go for Yamunotri Dham Yatra, then remember that packing is the most important part of your journey. If the packing is not done properly, then it should not happen that you have to return home in the middle of the way. So let us tell you what things you should carry in your bag during Yamunotri Dham Yatra.
Mythological importance of Yamunotri Dham
Yamunotri Dham is a very sacred religious place in Uttarakhand. This is the first stop of the Char Dham Yatra of Uttarakhand. Yamunotri has its own mythological significance in Indian culture. Yamunotri Temple at an altitude of 3293 meters above sea level is famous for its thermal springs and glaciers. The springs around the Yamunotri temple are believed to have supernatural powers, so pilgrims carry raw potatoes and rice, which they dip in the hot spring and take them home as offerings to the goddess Yamuna. Due to some such beliefs thousands of devotees from all over the world visit this wonderful place every year. (photo credit: wikimedia commons)
Must take these things with you on Yamunotri Dham
- Medicines – Carry medicines for diarrhoea, fever and your daily routine during the journey.
- Woolen clothes – Since the weather here is very cold, pack woolen clothes like sweaters, coats, caps in your bag. Also pack wind cheaters, raincoat and trekking suit and stick.
- Food items- You may feel hungry while climbing uphill during the journey. If food is near during the journey, then there is no tension. That’s why keep lots of dry fruits, chocolates and water in your bag.
- Mobile charger- Mobile charger, power bank, camera and trekking shoes must be packed to go to the hill area.
- Raincoat and Umbrella- Raincoat and umbrella are the most important things that one should not forget to pack while traveling to Yamunotri. Since it is a mountainous region, it rains heavily due to change in temperature.
- Identity proof – You will have to carry any identity proof along with the photocopy. You cannot travel without it. Therefore, first of all, keep any identity proof with your luggage.
Where can I stay in Yamunotri?
There are not many accommodation options in Yamunotri. However, pilgrims can stay at nearby places like Janaki Chatti, Hanuman Chatti, Barkot, Kharsali and Sayana Chatti. You can also find guesthouses, dharamshalas and ashrams on the Yamunotri Highway. There are a few more places to stay in and around Yamunotri where you can stay.
- Camp Nirvana, Yamunotri
- Hotel Himdarshan, Yamunotri
- Raturi Government Hotel, Yamunotri
- Hotel Santosh, Jankichatti
- Hotel Yamuna Putra, Jankichatti
- Hotel Devbhoomi, Barkot
- Samrat Hotel, Barkot
- Barkot Chardham Camp
- Guest House, Hanumanchatti
- GMVN Hanuman Chatti Tourist Rest House
- Durga Resort, Syanachatti
- Hotel Kalindi, Syanachatti
- GMVN Syanachatti Tourist Rest House is a good and cheap option to stay.
How to reach Yamunotri
By flightJolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the nearest airport to Yamunotri, located at 210 km. The best option for tourists is to travel to Yamunotri by flight. From here you can take a taxi to Hanuman Chatti. Yamunotri Yatra by Helicopter can also be booked directly from Yamunotri Airport to Yamunotri.
by train-Dehradun railway station is the nearest one to Yamunotri. You can take a train from your city to Dehradun. After reaching here, one can travel to Hanuman Chatti in taxis and buses.
by the road –Uttarakhand is well connected by road to all major tourist places. However, the journey to Yamunotri begins from Hanuman Chatti. Private cabs, sharing taxis and buses ply from Dehradun to Hanuman Chatti. You can also drive to Hanuman Chatti in your car.